Thursday 7 February 2008

Definitely the Last Post

It is with immense sadness that Nicole and I post this last message on Tony's blog.

He passed away peacefully at Mt Olivet Hospital on Tuesday morning at 4:25 am. We were with him to the end.

He was admitted to hospital on Saturday, because his mobility had deteriorated to the point that he felt vulnerable at home about our capacity to cope. He became weaker overnight and was confined to bed by Sunday. He remained in good spirits all the while, but sleeping more and more. On Monday morning he was much weaker and slept most of the day, which continued into the night, until he just took his last breath.

He was so, so happy to have been in Brisbane this last six weeks so that he could spend lots of time with Nicole, Drew, Aiden (5) and Kai (1). He was there when Kai took his first steps and just enjoyed being with them all. His greatest disappointment was that he was going to miss out on being the quality grandfather to them throughout their lives that he had been looking forward to.

He was the love of my life and my soul mate, I will miss him terribly, but I promised him that I would get on with life in a positive way and so I will do my best.

Thank you to everyone who has posted such wonderful comments on this record of Tony's journey, I will treasure them forever.

A special thank you to my dear friend Rob Kerkin who has been with me throughout these last weeks and whose support has been lifesaving.

A celebration of Tony's life will be held at 2pm (Brisbane time) on Tuesday the 12th of February 2008 at Mount Gravatt Crematorium, Mains Road, McGreggor.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gaye and Nic,

Our hearts go out to you and your family and friends in your loss of such a wonderful human being as Tony was, as well as his own loss of what should have been the long term joy of sharing your own and your grandchildren's/children's life and company as they grew up. I, and I'm sure all of his and your other friends, share your grief and sadness at Tony's untimely end.

Tony clearly touched and enriched many lives - and certainly mine - so the world cannot but be a poorer place for his passing.

Best wishes, and I'll see you on Tuesday,

Dennis

Anonymous said...

Dearest Gaye,

You and Tony offered me friendship when I was new in Canberra and new in Dennis' life. I treasured that and I now treasure you.

Love,
Julian

Anonymous said...

Such bravery is inspiring, and this will be how we will remember Tony. You will never be forgotten mate.

All our love

Steve, Michelle, and Izabella

Anonymous said...

I think most people who’ve read this blog and contributed would agree it's helped them grieve and given them perspective. A collective masterpiece - a tragedy but most definitely inspirational.

Living next door at Gordon, Raider's games and Tony at big old family barbecues. I miss them and him more than he might image.

Love, Robert.

Anonymous said...

Dear Gaye

I was really sad tonight when I opened Tony's blog, for the first time (not knowing that it was out there), to read news of Tony.

I will remember Tony for his quick sarcastic wit, friendly personality and enthusiasm. I can also add bravery to this list of attributes. After reading all of his posts I can see how hard this was for him. I was not surprised to get a real sense of his positivity throughout his illness even towards the end. I think that it was brave of him to write the posts, sharing his feelings and thoughts at the worst time in his life.

I know that nothing I can say or do will be of comfort to you at this time but know that you, your family and those that knew and loved Tony will be in my thoughts.

Gaye, During the time I have known you I have always admired your positive attitude to cope with anything thrown at you. I know that your positive outlook, and those gorgeous grandchildren and your children and friends, will help you cope as I am sure it helped Tony. I wish you all the very best.

Love

Tracey Haridemos

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ciproxin.webs.com/]buy cipro[/url] buy ciprofloxacin (cipro)
buy ciprofloxacin 500 mg
buy cipro online no rx

Anonymous said...

[url=http://buyciproxin.webs.com/]ciloxan buy
[/url] buy ciprofloxacin no prescription
buy ciprofloxacin
buy ciprofloxacin 500 mg

Anonymous said...

[url=http://casodex-bicalutamide.webs.com/]Bicaprol
[/url] purchase Bicalutamide
Dimalan
bicalutamide cost

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.microgiving.com/profile/ribavirin]copegus online
[/url] virazole 100 mg online
virazole 200 mg
ribavirin buy online